Bottom line: The difference lies in the permanence of your decision to split up.
Reasons to ask a judge for a legal separation, as opposed to a divorce, include finances, religion, and benefits (e.g., health insurance). However, there are a few considerations when contemplating divorce instead, especially if your goal is cut all legal ties with your spouse.
I break down the implications of each path, as well as important requirements in California you’ll need to adhere to.
Leave your questions in the comments‚ I’d be happy to answer them!
✍️ Full blog post here: https://hekmatfamilylaw.com/divorce/legal-separation-vs-divorce-in-california/
📒 Free Divorce Questionnaire: https://info.hekmatfamilylaw.com/divorce-questionnaire
Helpful links related to the video:
* [Video] 5 Keys to a Peaceful Divorce: https://youtu.be/GqyxX0yIfpY
* [Video] California Divorce Mediation FAQs: https://youtu.be/avB0P1KIsHI
* [Vidoe] Divorce Litigation vs Mediation — What’s Better?: https://youtu.be/EnZLF5_DROA
* [Blog Post] How to Find the RIGHT Los Angeles Divorce Attorney (Not the “Best” One): https://hekmatfamilylaw.com/divorce/how-to-find-the-right-los-angeles-divorce-attorney-not-the-best-one/
* [Blog Post] Dangers of Playing Dirty in a Divorce — How to Take the High Road: https://hekmatfamilylaw.com/divorce/dangers-of-playing-dirty-in-a-divorce-how-to-take-the-high-road/
* [Blog Post] Life After Divorce—3 Things To Do Next: https://hekmatfamilylaw.com/divorce/life-after-divorce-3-things-to-do-next/
— Connect with me on the web and on social!
👉 The Hekmat Law Blog (Education, Articles, and Resources on Marriage, Family & Divorce): https://hekmatfamilylaw.com/blog
👉 Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hekmatfamilylaw/
👉 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hekmatfamilylaw/
👉 LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/raymondhekmat/